Happy New Year!!! As some of you may know, I work in a school which means this time of year is a magical time for me because it’s WINTER BREAK! Two solid weeks of going to the bathroom when I like! (Ha, you will probably only understand that line if you are a teacher.) But I will admit, it is hard to stay motivated in the Winter.
So here’s what happens during a Winter Break for this school staff:
1. Lots of sleeping in!
2. Movie theater time
3. Play with the grandkids
5. Late night movies
6. Reading fun
7. Cleaning up Christmas
8. Food Network binge-watching. Yup, I love watching other people cook.
9. After-holiday shopping
And the best part of relaxing for me is being able to run when I want. I carved out time during the week to do each workout and most only took about 30 minutes to do. (Except for my 6 miles–that took an hour!)
But it can also be a time when staying motivated is a challenge. I mean it’s hard to resist binge-watching Stranger Things again when you know you have the time. So here are my 5 suggestions for staying motivated to keep on moving during the winter.
5 Way to Stay Motivated in the Winter
1. Find a plan that works for you and stick to it. That’s why I always put together a training plan that works for upcoming races. Here’s the plan I’m on now as I’m getting ready for my first Ultra! If you want your own copy of my 50K PRE-Training plan click on the picture below.
2. Write what you want to accomplish down. Either in a journal or on a calendar. That way if you see it, you’re more likely to do it. We have our kitchen calendar with all our numbers on it!
3. Make sure to add some time into your schedule to accomplish each day’s workout. Remember 20 minutes a day is better than nothing at all!
4. Keep track of your workouts and/or food intake using an online websites. There is myfitnesspal, Garmin, Fitocracy or Nike+. It’s easy to lose track of why your weight is changing. So seeing what you eat and how much you are moving on a screen will help you stay on track.
5. Join a group or friend who want to accomplish the same race or workouts. It’s hard not running when someone is waiting for you. Plus running with friends is a heck of a lot more fun!
You can find local run clubs through Road Runners Club of America or check out Facebook for run groups in your area.
There you have it. 5 ways to help you stay motivated for the upcoming year. Keep running and moving in 2018 my friends. Your muscles and heart will thank you!
Share what motivates you to keep on moving in the winter.