Stink happens! It’s part of any type of exercise. Your body moves, creates heat and sweats. Then poof, your shoes are a great place for smelly bacteria to grow in. So how does a runner get their shoes clean?
1. Wash the outside with a little soap and a bristle brush and let them air dry.
2. Hand wash your shoes with antibacterial soap. Rinse well and let them dry in front of a fan or in the sun.
3. Get as much of the dirt off the outside of your shoes and wash them in your washing machine. Be sure to take off the laces and put them in a lingerie bag or pillowcase so they don’t get tangled inside the wash bin. Then dry them in front of a fan (not the dryer!).
4. Make a paste of water, dish soap and baking soda. Distribute the paste inside the shoe and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then let air dry.
5. Use SmellWell!
What is SmellWell?
When I saw this product come across my BibRave feed I had to try it. Mostly because we have two runners in the house! And yes, loads of running shoes can definitely add up to a lot of smell.
When the SmellWell box arrived, I was excited to see if this little pouch really worked. Plus I liked saying “Smell Well” all day just like Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty. I think it drove the Hubs crazy…
SmellWell is a new product, distributed by BlueChip USA LLC. It’s two little pouches filled with an odor absorbent powder inside of it. SmellWell claims to absorb moisture, prevents growth of bacteria and effectively eliminate odors.
All you have to do is put one SmellWell packet in each shoe or into your sporting equipment over night. That’s it!
The SmellWell test!
First I tried it in my shoes right after a run at the indoor track. I popped a packet in each shoe and let them sit overnight. In the morning, my shoes were totally dry and I could smell a fresh scent of lavender.
Next I tried them in my gym bag that I carry everywhere. The smell is not always pleasant after my shoes and workout clothes sit in it. I left a SmellWell pouch in the bag overnight and my gym bag had a great fresh scent. It wasn’t strong at all and it didn’t affect any of the running food I had in my bag either. My bag just smelled fresh with a light lavender scent.
Don’t worry boys–the scent is not too flowery!
SmellWell lasts for about 3-4 months. The life length of the pouches depends on how much moisture there is where the product is used. For example, they tend to last longer in sneakers than in gloves or equipment that really gets super-sweaty.
And look at all the pretty colors SmellWell comes in!!!
You can also put these little packet in your gloves, shin guards, boots or work shoes! They worked great in a pair of shoes that often need to be washed because my bare feet sweat way too much!
Is SmellWell safe?
SmellWell has undergone an extensive REACH test showing that it is free from hazardous chemicals, is non-allergenic and also environmentally friendly. An extended test has also been done to guarantee that the inks used to print the outer bag are approved.
Pros and Cons Time!
- Prevents bacterial growth
- Lasts for 3 – 4 months
- Only cost $9.95
- Non-toxic made with all natural minerals and other natural components
- Works with any type of shoe or sports equipment
- Removes odors and leaves a fresh lavender scent
- You can purchase them through the website or Amazon
- ECO friendly
- You will need to replace them every 3 to 4 months
- There’s only one scent to pick from–lavender
I really liked the way these little packets freshened up my shoes and bag. I’ll definitely replace these every 4 months especially during the really hot months when shoes and clothes really take a beating in the heat. SmellWell really picked out the perfect name for this company.
For all you dog-lovers out there–here’s a cute video on the SmellWell website on how to use the SmellWell inserts if you need a visual! 🙂